Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gluten-free pancakes


Gluten-free pancakes with peanut butter and maple syrup
People who know my love for breakfast carbohydrates, and especially for post-dance pancakes, often ask which gluten-free pancake and waffle mix I use. My personal preference is to never use a GF mix if I can avoid it. They are rather expensive considering you only get one use out of them, and I feel like I have no control over the ingredients. I prefer to work with a GF flour blend and use a traditional pancake/waffle recipe.


When I do this, my favorite flour blend is Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose GF flour, because I feel that it substitutes fairly evenly for regular flour. Some of the other GF blends I’ve tried must have too much xanthan gum, because they get way too thick to pour, and I either have to remember to use less flour than the normal recipe calls for, or add more liquid at the end (which is undesirable because you are wasting the precious time during which the baking soda/powder is burning up its leavening action).

I have previously posted recipes for paleo pancakes and gluten-free waffles (which you can also use for pancakes), but here is another batter option.

This recipe serves two, and is what I prefer to use for late-night breakfasting. Sometimes I add in about a teaspoon unsweetened, dehydrated coconut for a more tropical flavor.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet
Blend together and set aside:
1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
Sprinkling of cinnamon

In a large bowl, beat
2 eggs

Blend in to eggs
2 tsp sugar, honey, or agave nectar
2 tbs melted butter, coconut oil or vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk (or a ½ cup plain yogurt + ½ cup milk)
¼ tsp gluten-free vanilla extract

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring just long enough to mix together. Bake on a lightly greased griddle at 375-degrees, or in a skillet over medium-low heat. Turn each cake once, when the bubbles that pop on the top no longer refill.

Top as desired. I like mine with sliced bananas, agave nectar and chopped pecans. Or as in the picture above, with peanut butter and pure maple syrup.
Gluten-free batter, mixed and ready to pour
The large bubbles on the surface will
stay open when the pancake is ready to flip
Finished gluten-free pancake


2 comments:

  1. I love that this recipe omits gum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    I try to avoid the gum--it's hard to clean up when the dust gets on the counters.

    ReplyDelete