Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Homemade Gluten-Free Waffles


Waffles are a weekend tradition in my house. When I was growing up, we used to make pancakes every Sunday. I learned that recipe when I was seven years old. Many years later, my kids developed a preference for waffles, which are basically the same thing, but with syrup pockets. I have made waffles almost every weekend for probably 15 years.


After going gluten free, the thought of a waffle-less existence depressed me almost as much as a future without pizza. I experimented with many waffle and pancake recipes, but this one, a combination of techniques from two different versions of Joy of Cooking and The Wooden Spook Bread Book, is our hands-down favorite. It makes more than enough waffles for five hungry people.

Preheat a waffle iron. Whisk together in a large bowl:
1 ¾ cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
¾ tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Separate 4 eggs.
Using the wire blade of an electric mixer, beat the four egg whites until soft peaks form.


Thoroughly blend in another large bowl
4 egg yolks
¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla


Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture and blend, then gently fold in the egg whites. The batter should be thick but still pourable. If it is too thick and doughy, gently blend in milk to thin it to pouring consistency.


Follow your manufacturer’s instructions for the amount of batter to pour into the machine and baking time. For our one-at-a-time Cuisinart waffle iron, I pour about ½ cup of batter in a soup ladle, then spread the batter around with the back of the ladle before closing the lid.

We top our waffles with nut butter and pure maple syrup, but sliced bananas and pecans are yummy, too. The topping possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

  1. This looks very good! Do you think they can be made without egg?

    Emily
    http://www.whethereatordrink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily: I have not tried them without egg. I know they would not not have the same fluffiness without whipped egg white. I think they would also fall apart in the waffle iron. I will have to experiment with some substitutes and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete