Monday, February 10, 2014

Fredericksburg Coffee Shops Take II: Keystone Coffee

Keystone Coffee
2206 Princess Anne Street
Keystone Coffee
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
http://www.keystonecoffeeandautospa.com

I have driven past this little coffee shop for the past few years, and have never stopped by until recently, what a loss! It’s a cute little shop right next to the famous Carl’s ice cream, complete with an outdoor seating area and carwash.

You can drop off your vehicle to get it detailed while you enjoy a soup and salad combo or a chocolate-covered-strawberries mocha. The carwash guys will come and tell you when your car is ready.

In my tour of Fredericksburg coffee houses, Keystone wins so far in terms of atmosphere. The vintage décor fits my personal prefrences: framed photo of Elvis, 50’s-style tourism posters for Cuba, and a selection of beautiful antique-car photos. During my visit, the music ranged from Django-style jazz to 60s rock and modern, but less-known, tunes.

Although the inside of Keystone is small, it is cozy, with hardwood floors, two comfy chairs, one leather sofa, a booth and a few tables. It is probably the nicest place you could ever wait for a car wash.

In addition to coffee and tea, Keystone offers smoothies, cream freezes and an assortment of pastries, sandwiches and snacks. Of the coffee shops I have toured in the Burg, Keystone has the largest selection of gluten-free snacks. This selection could only be considered “large” by comparison to the others—so do not expect to go in there and find a dedicated GF kitchen. What you can get is tuna salad on a bed of greens, a bag of nuts or a fruit cup. As with most restaurants, you can also ask for a sandwich without any bread.

The menu is clearly marked with a large V, which they say stands for “vegetarian or vegan,” but they don’t really tell you which. I guess you have to ask for specifics if that is important to you.

The most noticeable downside to this place is that there is no obvious wifi. I have heard that a connection is available if you ask, but I did not verify that during my trip. Another possible negative for people who prefer traditional American food is that the sandwiches come with healthy sides, like grapes. If you like chips, you will have to buy them separately. If not, you will get a reasonably sized portion of food and little guilt.

But of course, I’m all about the coffee. All I can say is that my latte met my expectations. I can’t really wax poetic about this one, but I did feel an instant caffeine surge, a feeling of which I much approve.

I look forward to returning again for a smoothie the next time I’m in town—by the way, I think I need to get my car washed soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment