Thursday, March 13, 2014

5 Swingin' Ways to Eat Spinach, in honor of Julia Lee


In 1949, Julia Lee did a song with her band, the Boyfriends, called "The Spinach Song," or "I didn't like it the first time." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4tVzuN52U)

Not only is this song fun to dance to, but it is a cunning extended metaphor for either marijuana or sex, depending on how you interpret the lyrics:

Spinach has vitamin A, B and D, but spinach never appealed to me

But one day while having dinner with a guy, I decided to give it a try

I didn’t like it the first time, it was so new to me

I didn’t like it the first time, I was so young, you see


I used to run away from the stuff, but now somehow I can’t get enough

I didn’t like it the first time, oh, how it grew on me!

I didn’t like it the first time, I had it on a date 

Although the first was the worst time, right now I think it’s great

Somehow, it’s always hittin’ the spot, especially when they bring it in hot

I didn’t like it the first time, but oh, how it grew on me 

I didn't like it the first time, I thought it was so strange
I wasn't getting much younger, so I just made the change
No longer is the stuff on the shelf, ‘cause now I make a pig of myself
I didn't like it the first time, but oh how it grew on me 

I didn't like it the first time, when I was just sixteen
I didn't like it the first time, guess I was mighty green
But I stocked up, cause I've gotten wise, I've got enough for two dozen guys
I didn't like it the first time, but oh how it grew on me
I didn't like it the first time, but oh how it grew on me!


In honor of the clever Miss Lee, I have put together a few of my favorite ways to eat actual, garden-variety spinach. I hope you will enjoy them while dancing to this song in your kitchen.

  • Spinach salad: Best with baby spinach leaves slightly chopped up. I like mine with some kind of fruit, like dried cranberries and/or sectioned oranges and pecans.
  • Wilted, with bacon: Don’t tell my fitness friends about this one, but when I am feeling rather naughty, I chop up a few slices of real, authentic pig bacon, cook it until crispy, then dump an entire bag of spinach into the skillet right on top of all that bacon fat. I wilt the leaves, tossing them carelessly around in the pan for about a minute, then add a half-teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a sprinkling of black pepper.
  • Wilted, healthier-style: This is the recipe I do tell my fitness friends about. In a nonstick skillet, I heat up about a tablespoon of low-sodium, gluten-free tamari mixed with about ¼ cup of water. Then, over medium heat, I stir-boil one clove of crushed garlic, and then add a bag of spinach and a dusting of red pepper flakes, stirring until wilted, about one minute.
  • Spinach omelet: First, I chop up about a half an onion and sautee that in a nonstick skillet until it is translucent. Then I add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes and a handful of chopped fresh spinach, stir long enough to wilt, and then pour in two scrambled eggs (or egg whites if you are being very virtuous). After a minute or two, I stir the eggs to break up the curds and add about a tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese, then allow the omelet to finish cooking.
  • Spinach in tacos. I wouldn’t really want an all-spinach taco/burrito, but we do use spinach instead of lettuce sometimes. It adds that extra boost of dark green leafies.
You can sautee a little spinach right along with your eggs for breakfast.



No comments:

Post a Comment