Monday, March 17, 2014

Massage therapy: Be a repeater

I had the extreme pleasure of enjoying my first massage about 12 years ago.  Since then, massage has mostly been a sporadic gift to myself that I might use to celebrate a special milestone, or to help myself recover after a very stressful time.

I took a different approach at the beginning of this year: I began scheduling massage therapy sessions every other week, for a couple of reasons. I have a chronic neck and shoulder problem that has been bothering me since I was about 14 years old. I had become accustomed to a constant, low level of pain in my right shoulder and neck. Sometimes the shoulder would flare up so badly that I could actually hear the muscles in my neck squeaking when I turned my head.

I also had a pretty severe back spasm around New Year’s. That was the third time this particular muscle group had acted up on me. It wasn’t the worst episode: the first time, it affected me for about six weeks, even affecting my ability to work. This most recent time wasn’t nearly as bad, but it made me realize that I was turning into a five-foot-five stress ball.

I exercise a lot, but I also spend a lot of time writing on my laptop with generally poor posture. I juggle a few different jobs. I have three kids, a dog, a cat and a husband. I am a perfectionist. I have a low tolerance for disorder. I feel a compulsion to please everyone else around me. In other words, I am very susceptible to stress.

It was the low-back flare-up and my neck that brought me in for massage therapy at the beginning of this year. And although I had done massage before, I never particularly cared which therapist I saw, or where. But in this particular case, I happened to get matched up with a therapist who had a background in fitness and personal training, and was very skilled at interpreting the root causes of the muscle problems I was having. As with a hair stylist, dentist, doctor or manicurist, feeling comfortable with your massage therapist and respecting their level of expertise enhances the experience and makes you want to come back.

For the first time, I started working with the same person regularly, which produced many surprising benefits. For one thing, I began to feel safe and comfortable. Without having to worry about what they were going to do next, I could relax and allow my brain to unplug for a while.

The therapist also got familiar with some of my problem areas, and was able to quickly hone in on trouble spots. For example, we discovered that my piriformis muscle is a huge trouble-maker in my low back, and that my lack of upper-body strength was contributing to my neck and shoulder problems. Armed with that knowledge, the therapist suggested a series of exercises and stretches to help strengthen the weak spots and counteract the tight ones. I am working on those, but this is not a quick fix. It took several decades of postural mistakes to cause these problems, and they won’t go away overnight.

I have been working with the same therapist for about three months now. For the first time in recent memory, my right shoulder feels generally pain-free. It still flares up from time to time, but I haven’t heard the muscles squeak for many weeks.

We had a couple of memorable breakthroughs, like the day my right shoulder finally released and it seemed like a thousand pounds of pressure dropped out of my jaw. I have always been a tooth-grinder, but I never knew before that day that my tooth-grinding was connected to my shoulder pain. Once the shoulder released, the tooth-grinding decreased. It’s been about a month since I woke myself up with the sound of my upper and lower jaws compressing together so tightly that you could mistake them for a glacier moving across land.

We’ve done some excellent work on the right pirifomis as well, and although it is still a bit of a nag, I cannot remember ever feeling so good in my running stride as I do right now. I feel like a child when I run—both legs feel loose and light. I have a longer stride, and it is rare for me to feel the stinging burn in my hip and hamstring that used to be normal after a mile or two.

All the physical benefits are wonderful, and well worth the investment of time and money, but the psychological benefits are something else entirely, and the subject of another blog.

Resources 
This blog has been about my personal experience with massage therapy, but if you are interested in reading more general information about massage benefits, check out the following resources:

North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy: NAJSPT
The Sports Physical Therapy Section of the American Physical Therapy Association

The Mayo Clinic. Massage: Get in touch with its many benefits

USA Today, The Benefits of Massage Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment