Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Travel fit: Working out when you're traveling



When I travel, I usually have the option to choose my own hotel. One of the criteria I look for is a fitness center. Over the years, the quality of hotel fitness centers has improved greatly. Occasionally, I still come across the “fitness closet,” which is what I call a broom closet into which the hotel management has squeezed one floor-to-ceiling mirror, one discount-brand treadmill and one deflated stability ball. Invariably, these hotels will have some kind of Photoshopped creation on their website that makes the fitness closet look like an actual gym. (This is where travel sites with actual guest photos and user reviews come in handy—know before you go.)

If I have the option to choose my hotel, I like a fitness center that includes my preferred mode of cardio. Okay, that’s just a lie. My preferred mode of cardio is dancing, which I can’t actually do in a fitness closet. Instead, I pound away on a treadmill, which (little known fact) was intended to be the eighth level of Dante’s Inferno, but it was cut from the book by editors looking to save paper. Treadmills deserve a whole post of their own, so more on that later.

Several of the best fitness centers I have seen are in hotels in California—these can be like full-scale gyms with both free-weights and weight machines. The left coast knows how to do a fitness center right. They typically line up the machines so that you can actually watch something interesting while you work out, like the pool or the ocean, or the guys on the free-weights.

The benefit to the in-hotel fitness center is that you can work out at your convenience without having to worry about whether the neighborhood near the hotel is safe, or what the weather will bring. You can also exercise on your schedule. For example, when we go to Las Vegas, I like to run outside because it’s so flat there. However, I have to get up at the crack of dawn to beat the heat, the sun, and the tourists. Early morning Vegas also smells like recycled beer and stale cigarettes. If I used the hotel gym, I could work out in the middle of the day, which might be a better fit for the Vegas pattern of staying up late. On the other hand, committing to the early morning workout forces me to drink in moderation and go to bed at a decent hour. This keeps me from inflicting other unnecessary damage on my body.

Even though I like a hotel with a good fitness center, there are plenty of times I just don’t get one, or I never use it. Some hotels charge $10 or more per day to use their “fitness closet.” Sometimes the hotel gyms are full of people attending the same conference I am, and I just don’t want to see them and have to make small talk while I’m wearing a bra top and dripping sweat. Most of the time, I really prefer to get outside and make my workout a part of my work or vacation experience.

Working out on your own
If you choose not to use the hotel fitness center, there are still lots of ways you can get a great workout.

Cardio
The cardiovascular component of your workout is probably the easiest to take on the road. In most tourist-oriented locations, there are readily available walking/running routes.

If you are in an unfamiliar area, ask the hotel concierge for advice about safe routes. Go early in the day (but after dawn) to minimize road traffic. Always take your phone with you. If you run into trouble, you’ll be happy you have the phone handy. And you can also take pictures of local wildlife, like potato-sized cockroaches in Manhattan, or early-morning hangover victims in Vegas, and post them to Facebook while you run. I also like to use the Mapmyrun app on my iPhone, because it shows a map of where I am and counts my distance and time for me.

Always carry a water bottle and tuck a few bucks, photo ID and a credit card into your pocket. Why the credit card? Because it was my mother’s great fear that we should ever be in desperate need of something and have no money. I have never yet actually used my credit card on a run, but I always feel better knowing that I have it.

In many tourist-oriented areas, you can also rent bicycles for a few hours or for the day. If biking is your thing, this can be a great way to get a workout and see some sights.

Strength training
Everyone should be doing some form of strength training. If you aren’t, you should start. Right now. Go ahead. I will wait.

Since you won’t be lugging your leg press machine on the plane with you, this is a good opportunity to use the hotel fitness center. If you choose not to, you can still get a good strength workout in your room, using just your own body weight. Squats, lunges, burpees, pushups, planks and pikes all require only what your mamma gave you. If you feel like you just can’t keep up your awesome physique with these simple movements, try doing your pushups under the hotel bed, lifting its weight on each upward phase. Or, you could just use the fitness center.

The next installment of this blog is about travel fitness equipment—especially the TRX and resistabands. Are you psyched? I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment