Thursday, November 7, 2013

Working out on the road: The TRX


I have written before about my love affair with the TRX. It’s such a simple product--just a couple of straps, belts and handles--and it is one of the most versatile pieces of equipment I have ever used. My eighty-two year-old mother could use it. My 14 year-old son could use it, and Drew Brees does use it (and he stars in how-to workout videos about it on YouTube).

I only wish I had invented it, so I could be a millionaire right now. But I can’t even be upset about that, because it was invented by a former Navy SEAL, and I think he deserves to be sitting on my imaginary beach sipping margaritas.

The TRX weighs just about 2 lbs, packs up in a mesh bag that takes up as much space in your bag as one pair of shoes. 

You can use this piece of equipment anywhere. You can even tie it to a tree and use it in the hotel parking lot. But that is not something I would ever do. I think that would encourage a flood of people to come ask questions. And by a flood, I mean more than zero people.

I usually hook the TRX over the hotel door in my room. It’s pretty quiet, so I was able to get a nice workout in 20 minutes without waking up my husband or kids when we were all sharing a room before visiting Busch Gardens this summer.

The compact size, light weight, time efficiency and silence make it a perfect travel workout tool.

Following is an example of a travel TRX workout that should take about 20 minutes and totally kick your butt. If this workout is too easy for you, increase the challenge by changing your position relative to the anchor point, or doing the moves one-armed or one legged. 

I have also provided video so that you can see what I’m talking about.

Set 1. Complete two full sets.
            Rows from seated to standing         Sit, pull up, 3 rows. Rest 5 seconds.
                                                                    Sit, pull up, 4 rows. Rest 5 seconds.
                                                                    Sit, pull up, 5 rows. Rest 5 seconds.
            Triceps pulls                                    Repeat 8-10 times.
            To increase the challenge, stand further away from the anchor point.

Set 2. Complete two full sets.
            One-legged lunges                            Lunge 8 times on each leg = 1 set
            Bicep curls                                        8-10 reps.
            To increase the challenge, make it a single-hand curl.

Set 3. Complete two full sets of 4-10 reps.
            Squats with raised arms                  Keep arms up, out of your field of view
            W, Y, Ts                                         Shape these letters with your arms.

Set 4. Complete two full sets. One set = continue the move for one minute, taking breaks as needed.

            Plank, body saw OR atomic pushup.                       
            Side plank, rotating plank, or with a hip dip on each 3rd

No comments:

Post a Comment